Saturday, July 11, 2009

Virginian Treasures


Scanning the TV guide in order to spot my top 100 movies, I ran into a title that caught my eye: "Shenandoah" (1965). Being that I spent some very happy moments there when I lived in Charlottesville, VA, I checked it out. I read the description and it sounded a lot like "The Patriot". However, it featured none other that James Stewart, whom I have discovered myself to be fond of; so curious about it I decided to record it.

It was quite a surprise!

A couple of quotes:

Charlie Anderson:
It's no easy job, Sam, to take care of a woman.
Lt. Sam:
No, sir.
Charlie Anderson:
They expect things they never ask for. And when they don't get them, they ask you why. Sometimes they don't ask... and then they just go ahead and punish you for not doing something you didn't know you were supposed to do in the first place.
Lt. Sam: What for instance, Sir?
Charlie Anderson: That's a very difficult question to answer, Sam. You're never quite sure...it's just that it's sort of you might say... relative.
Lt. Sam: Relative to what, Sir?
Charlie Anderson: To how they are feeling at the moment.
Lt. Sam: And how is that?
Charlie Anderson: You never know.
Lt. Sam: I don't believe I really understand what you are trying to tell me, Sir.
Charlie Anderson: I know, I know. I never understood it myself. I never understood it. It's just one of those things, Sam...


Charlie Anderson: Do you like her?
Lt. Sam:
Well, I just said I...
Charlie Anderson:
No, no. You just said you loved her. There's some difference between lovin' and likin'. When I married Jennie's mother, I-I didn't love her - I liked her... I liked her a whole lot. I liked Martha for at least three years after we were married and then one day it just dawned on me I loved her. I still do... I still do. You see, Sam, when you love a woman without likin' her, the night can be long and cold, and contempt comes up with the sun...

Gotta love Jimmy!


Movie Trailer on TCM

No comments: