Monday, September 8, 2008

A day in the life...

For three weeks now I've been working at this new law firm. Ever since my unmemorable predecessor moved out, I took over my new office space. I brought my radio/mp3 player alarm clock, a scented candle, my stash of chocolate, candy and chewing gum and, taking advantage of my wall to wall window, 2 decorative plants. For some, it might sound like an unconventional survivor kit, but it has worked very well so far.

Few thing are predictable in my phone-call-filled hectic days. However, everyday, before going up to the office I make a stop at the corner's Starbucks. It seems impossible to start my day without tall vanilla late (instead of "mi cafe con leche clarito"), and my new addiction, Madeleines. While I walk back I wonder whether I'll be willing to keep doing this in the winter -which comes at us faster than I would like.

I settle in, turn on the oldies station on the radio, and lit my "warm apple pie" scented candle. Lots of comments have derived from my lit candle, everything from how good it smells to what the hidden purpose of it is - I wonder if they think Venezuela is voodoo land or they just think I'm into the new age thing. But the truth is that these simple actions make me feel like i really "own" the space and get me in the right frame of mind for the day ahead. And so, another day gets rolling...

The next milestone in my day is a common activity for American's, that is as foreign to us as going to the bank and not having to stand in line: I have the responsibility of opening, sorting and distributing our mail. It sounds pretty simple, but it is just a convoluted, never ending process. Some of it goes to our D.C. office, some goes to our Maryland office; some is meant for the orchestra-man-attorney that rents some office space from us... Sometimes I even get to use my none-existent powers of divination to figure out who sends what.

Anyways, once that first sorting is done, and I'm already exhausted and my desk looks like a paper factory after a terrorist attack, I need to do the intra-office sorting and search for the file folders. Of course, again, there's open files, closed files, VIP files, submitted files, settled files... It almost feels like a scavanger's hunt with me running all over the place.

Predictably, there's always a couple of pieces of mail that I can't figure out. It was while trying to successfully place those rogue pieces of paper that I happen to set them on my table, on the right side of my monitor, right by... you got it!... right by my scented candle.

Five seconds later, the mail was ablaze! Here I am, almost burning settlement checks in a freaking building made by the second little piggy.... all wooden sticks and cardboard!

After stomping on papers, none of which turned out to be checks (Praise the Lord!), and keeping my fingers crossed for the fire alarm/sprinklers not to go off, I managed to control the disastrous situation... and save my job for at least for another Starbucks-and-mail-filled day.

1 comment:

Miss Alice said...

Jajajajajajaja!! Oh man, I would've laughed sooooo hard had I been there (partly nervous laughter, partly just plain old giggles)